Friday, February 4, 2011

A blizzard brings clarity to our family

I am not blogging about the three consecutive snow days that almost lead to mass hysteria across the nation. Because you, too, experienced it and do not need a recap on that nightmare, nor do you need to be reminded that you came this close to doing what virtually every parent and child thought on the third day: I am going to just walk outside and freeze myself to a slow death because that would be preferable to this unending hell. No, I do not need to talk about that.

I will, however, talk about what happened to Sam's ongoing plea to have a third child as we came upon our third snow day. You see, Sam chose to risk life and limb and go to work, and NOT allow us to meet him for lunch because after 1 1/2 days, he had HAD it. When he got home from work, he found the kids and me in such foul moods with each other. Honestly, it was not because any one of us was misbehaving; we were just TIRED of seeing each other. So as Ethan was screaming like a pterodactyl at everyone and everything in his path, Ally was picking fights with her mini-dinosaur brother and I was offering both of them to go for a nice walk outside in the nude, Sam commented "Ok, I have decided I'm okay with only 2 kids."

Then this morning, the beautiful sound of reason came from none other than my sweet, perfect Ally, age 5. The thought must have been growing in her mind for some time until it finally found voice, out of nowhere:

"Mommy, there is only one me, and I cannot take care of more than one baby. If you guys have another baby, you should wait until Ethan gets older. But you know, if you give Daddy a third child, he'll just want another and then we'll have four children in this family! Let's just get a dog."

That child is perfection.

2 comments:

  1. Anh, your house is too big to NOT have another kid. Fill it! Fill it! Have three, have four. If it were up to me, Id have five (and no, Im not kidding).

    But throw a dog into the mix? Forget it. Im out. Too much work. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. Just thinking about a third wears me out, and gives me stomach pains. I need this big house to get away from these kids!

    ReplyDelete