Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring Soccer

I am officially a soccer mom.  Ally had her first two soccer games this weekend, and I can't help but ask "Is this how spring soccer really looks?"


When I first signed Ally up for soccer, she pouted, resisted, and finally cried because "In soccer, I will have to run and that makes my legs tired!"  I couldn't hold it against her because the reality is that half of her genes come from me, and everyone knows my athletic ability is...laughable.  If I can walk across the parking lot without tripping, it is considered a success.  The week before her first game was actually hot.  Hot enough that sleeping was uncomfortable without A/C (which was  not turned on because I found that ludicrous at this time of year).  But as Ally's luck would have it, her first game was on a day with high winds and snow.

The kids were bundled up so much, they more closely resembled football players, but they still could not get warm.  This picture was taken right before the snow and ice came blowing in.  The kids could barely see, but they made all of us incredibly proud with their effort.  And in defiance of her genetic composition, Ally scored a goal to help her team win!  No, they do not keep score at this level.  Yes, the parents did, and yes, we really did win.

The next day was not as cold or windy, but it certainly was not balmy.  On this day, the girls were seasoned, prepared.  Or so we thought.  Turns out they were more prepared for halftime when they would get snacks.  It was all any of us heard.  "Can I have my snack now?  When is halftime?  Can I sit in this chair until I get my snack?  Where is my snack?!!!"  But on this day, they were matched against a pro-team.  One of the girls on the other team could not possibly have been 5 or 6 years old.  I wanted them to provide ID, because that "child" was bigger and faster than any one of our kids.  If that child truly is 5 or 6, her parents should seriously consider having her pituitary checked because I am telling you, she could rise to the top in the WWF.  And look, lady luck showed her face again because my Ally was expected to go up against her. 

Ally truly has the sweetest disposition of any child I have ever met.  So we were genuinely concerned for her well-being when we saw this troll come up to our daughter.  Our girls were getting creamed.  Destroyed.  They couldn't even spend more than 30 seconds near their goal before one of the giants came around and flattened our girls.  Finally, during one of her breaks, I assured her "It's okay to be aggressive and take the ball away from the other team.  I don't want you to hit anyone, but if your foot or elbow comes out, I'm okay with that, too.  But remember, that is ONLY okay to do in soccer!"  She gave me a funny look, asked me about snacks again, and went back in. 

This next part makes me proud in a very twisted, parental-rights-should-be-stripped kind of way.  She actually tripped the giant, who looked up at me (and honestly scared me with her expression), and Ally's teammate was able to get the ball and...SCORE!!! 

Our team lost, but I like to think the other coach now knows that WE know there is no way in hell his team is comprised of kindergarteners.  And we're on to him and his team of thugs...

No comments:

Post a Comment