Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Politics anyone? Not around me.

I am far too cynical to be an idealist, too goofy to be serious or taken seriously, and too realistic to think Rodney King's eloquent question will ever be answered in the affirmative.  There is one topic that I absolutely never discuss with anyone with any breadth of seriousness: politics.  Like everyone else, I have my own very specific views, and will not be swayed by propaganda, mud slinging or threats of impending doom if a certain candidate from a particular party wins the vote.  When I say I refuse to discuss politics with anyone, I mean EVERYONE.

As I have gotten older and have small impressionable children, I have tried to adopt a more simplistic approach.  One of my favorite authors for what seems like the last seven years is Dr. Seuss, and in his brilliant fashion, I will explain my view on discussing politics:

I will not discuss politics.

Not with my husband.
Not with my kids.
Not in my house, 
Not even with a louse.

Nor outside my abode.
Especially when weighed down with a load.
I won't talk politics today, tomorrow, or the next.
Not even if you wail and beat your breast.

I will not waste time to discuss such things
That make people seem they're barely hanging on by a string.
If you insist on sharing your views,
Avoiding the existence of other hues,
Do not be surprised or hurt
When I suddenly turn and punch your throat.

I will not discuss politics.

Ok, I really will not punch anyone in the throat, and it really does not even rhyme, but you get the idea of how I feel about this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment